Black Tap Milkshake (Homemade Sweet N’ Salty)
Homemade version of a Black Tap Milkshake – these crazy shakes are indeed CRAZY. It starts with a peanut butter shake. Then it gets a chocolate frosted rim with M&M’s & PB cups. Topped with with pretzel rods, chocolate covered pretzels, whipped cream & chocolate drizzle.
Best part: you don’t have to wait until your next visit to NYC to get one. Because these are so fun and easy to make at home!
Step by step tutorial on how to make a Black Tap Milkshake
Make the chocolate covered pretzels with mini M&M’s. You can skip this step and use plain pretzels to cut down on time.
Spread chocolate frosting on the rim of the milkshake glass. I like store bought frosting for this. It’s easier, for one. But it’s also super thick. So all of the toppings stick to it really well.
P.S. here is a link to some super cute milkshake glasses. You want a tall, heavy bottom cup. Because you need something that can hold up all the stuff you put on the top of the glass.
Place little spoonful of peanut butter around the glass. Rub the back of the spoon in circles against the glass to swirl the two together.
Roll the rim of the glass around in the M&M’s. You want all the frosting/peanut butter covered. If the M&M’s aren’t sticking then you don’t have enough frosting!
Put spoonfuls of peanut butter on the back of mini PB cups and stick them around the top of the glass. I do 5 per milkshake glass. But the number could be different depending on the size of your milkshake glass.
Drizzle hot fudge in the glass. Fill the glass with the milkshake. You can do a plain peanut butter milkshake. Or you can make it more like a McFlurry. Here is a how to make a McFlurry at home.
Top the milkshake with whipped cream.
And lastly: stick in a couple of pretzel rods and a M&M chocolate covered pretzel in the whipped cream. And drizzle with chocolate syrup and salted caramel.
These are like the Disney World of milkshakes. Aka the most epic milkshake ever!!
Black Tap Milkshake (Homemade Sweet N' Salty)
Homemade version of a Black Tap Milkshake – these crazy shakes are indeed CRAZY.
For the jumbo M&M’s chocolate covered pretzels (this is optional, you can also use undipped pretzels)
- jumbo sourdough pretzels
- baking chocolate
- mini M&M’s
For the milkshake:
- 4 cups quality vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted caramel (optional but HIGHLY recommended)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups milk, less for thicker milkshakes
For the toppings:
- chocolate frosting (I use store bought – the thicker the better!)
- peanut butter (you want it to be thick! Not the natural kind)
- mini PB cups
- whipped cream
- pretzel rods
- chocolate syrup
- salted caramel, warmed if not in a pourable bottle
- tall straws
For the jumbo M&M chocolate covered pretzels:
- Melt the chocolate according to package instructions. Dip the pretzels in the melted chocolate and roll in mini M&M’s. Set aside to let dry.
For the milkshake:
- Using a blender and blend all ingredients together until smooth.
For the toppings:
- Schmear chocolate frosting on the rim the milkshake glass. Schmear peanut butter on top of the chocolate frosting. Roll the rim of the glass in M&M’s. Put a little spoonful of peanut butter on the back of a mini PB cup and stick 5 of them around the top of the glass. Drizzle chocolate fudge in the glass and fill the glass with the blended milkshake. Top with whipped cream. Then stick in a couple of pretzel rods, a M&M chocolate covered pretzel, and drizzle with chocolate syrup and salted caramel. Repeat with the other 3 glasses!
- Stick a straw in it and enjoy!
[this isn’t a sponsored post, there are a few affiliate links above based on things I purchase on my own and love]