Caramel Chex Mix
Caramel Chex Mix – Salty, sweet homemade snack mix. Made in 10 minutes & in the microwave. Perfect for serving a crowd on football Sunday!
Warning. This recipe is dangerously addicting. It is physically impossible to STOP eating bite by bite by bite. Before you know it, the entire batch will be gone. I speak (type?) from experience.
This caramel chex mix doesn’t require a candy thermometer
Most caramel recipes require a candy thermometer. But this one doesn’t!!!
It also doesn’t require a long baking time with mixing in between. It’s made in the microwave in about 5 minutes.
Which makes this the easiest recipe ever.
This recipe is like a blank canvas. There are so many different versions you could make with this.
You could also make a chocolate version and use chocolate chex cereal instead of the corn chex cereal.
What to serve with this snack mix?
Caramel Chex Mix
Salty, sweet homemade snack mix. Made in 10 minutes & in the microwave. Perfect for serving a crowd on football Sunday!
- 10 cups corn chex cereal
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
For the caramel:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine corn cereal and peanuts. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add butter and whisk constantly until fully combined and boiling. Remove from heat, whisk in corn syrup, vanilla, and baking soda until completely combined.
- Pour over cereal/peanuts and fold mixture with a rubber spatula to even coat.
- Transfer bowl to microwave and microwave for 1 minute, remove from microwave and stir. Repeat 2-3 more times. (Microwave for 3 minutes for a slightly softer caramel, and 4 minutes for a slightly crunchier caramel.)
- Spread snack mix into a single layer onto a large baking sheet lined with foil. Allow to cool on the pan and break apart large clusters if desired. Cover the snack mix tightly once cooled; it will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.
[this isn’t a sponsored post, there are a few affiliate links above based on things I purchase on my own and love]