Pasta e Fagioli Soup
This is honestly one of our favorite fall/winter soups, and when served in a mug like yesterday, it serves as awesome supper while watching the Super-Bowl. Unfortunately I didn’t get to enjoy my share yesterday because I had other plans for the evening. I made sure to double up tonight in order to make up for missing out last night.
Every time I have a bowl full I find myself slurping the broth from the bottom of my bowl, craving more.
Traditionally Pasta e Fagioli soup has a savory tomato-based broth with plenty of hearty veggies, ground beef, beans, and, of course, pasta. Pasta e Fagioli simply means “pasta and beans” in Italian, and our version is seriously delish. As I write out the recipe, ours seems to be more of a mixture of Minestrone and Fagioli. I added a bunch more of those beloved hearty veggies. I also substituted lean turkey sausage for the beef to make it just a wee bit healthier.
You start be browning the turkey sausage with the onions and carrots. After that, you add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and let the flavors blend together for about an hour. Topping it off with little pasta and cheese.
This soup is a favorite even for those in the family who don’t particular love vegetables.
I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as we do.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
2 medium carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean Italian sweet Turkey Sausage
7 cups chicken broth
1 26-oz can Tomato Soup (I used Campbell Healthy Tomato Soup)
1 15-ounce can Basil, Garlic & Oregano diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can Fennel & Roasted Red Pepper Diced tomatoes
1 14-ounce can Low sodium Green Beans, drained
1 can Whole Kernel White Corn, drained (can use frozen)
1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, drained
15-ounce can kidney beans, drained (or any other red bean)
1 ½ tablespoons oregano
1 ½ tablespoons tarragon
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ditalini pasta, or any small pasta
Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large Sauce pan and swirl to coat
- Sauté onions, carrots, and garlic
- Remove casings from sausage; add sausage to pan. Cook 4 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble sausage
- Into the pot, add chicken broth, Tomato soup, tomatoes, green beans, corn, beans, oregano, tarragon, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the pot and cook for an hour over low heat, at a gentle simmer.
- With 15 minutes remaining, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 8-9 minutes
- Drain pasta, reserve 2 cup of starchy pasta water
- Mix in pasta and pasta water to soup
- Mix in spinach (optional) and let sit for 5 minutes
- Serve with grated cheese on top and Enjoy!